Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Modern Day Rechabites

Before I begin this post I think its only fair to begin that I am not advocating for anyone to take the particular stance that I am going to stand for in this post. However I do believe there are some who may have God begin to tug at the strings of their heart to consider a different choice based on the power of the Scripture and the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

A fair amount of disagreement exists about the subject of alcohol. Therefore let me go ahead and approach the disagreement head on and discuss it in a very black and white manner. There are a number of secondary issues in the Christian faith. I understand that well. And to be honest there have been many seasons of my life that the secondary issues were more primary to me. In fact maybe they even still are.... But regardless of the "level" we place on these issues these are still issues that we as believers must wrestle through. Scripture is clear about the issue of drunkenness and we can all agree that is a sin. But can we consume it? Yes. There is no where in the bible that forbids the consumption of alcohol. It is a freedom we have in Christ there is no doubt about that. And some enjoy that as a freedom. I however am probably becoming one of the rare few who do not enjoy that freedom. My wife Cassie does not enjoy that freedom either.

We both over the past few years since we began full time ministry service have realized the rarity of our conviction on this point. And to be honest over the past several months my heart and soul has searched within itself about whether this conviction is a legalistic one that I need to repent of in the hopes of being able to live more freely within the gospel. Because I believe the gospel provides freedom in Christ. Thus I do not want to be bound by legalistic standards that I believe are not from God.

And so over the last few months I have had countless number of conversations regarding the issue of alcohol with those in our church, my family and others. As I have done so I have come across most of the arguments on both sides of the issue. Here they are just to name a few...
  1. There are those who point to the NT and Jesus turning the water into wine and will say if Jesus turned the water into wine it must be okay to consume. And I can't argue with that.
  2.  Another argument is that Paul instructs Timothy to consume wine for the sake of his own health. 
  3. On the other side there are two common arguments. John McArthur makes lexical arguments regarding the words used for wine in the biblical times. He has word studies that he believes shows the Greek words used for wine in the bible reflect that the alcoholic content of what wine was in that time is far different than the wine we have today. 
  4. Others don't even make the lexical arguments against alcohol but rather use the idea that it's a stumbling block from Paul's terminology. Saying that it can cause others to stumble if they consume it.
Now I think there are valid points within each of the 4 arguments/positions listed above. But this morning I came across a passage of Scripture that shifted my entire thinking on this subject.  
Jeremiah 35 is a passage I don't remember in all my conversations about the subject of alcohol that has ever really been talked about and or used. I am sure someone somewhere has but I haven't heard it before. So when I read it I was pretty blown away. For those unfamiliar with the historical context of Jeremiah it pretty much goes like this. God has raised up a prophet named Jeremiah to preach to his people Israel a message of repentance. But because their hearts are so hard and their rebellion so strong they reject his preaching every time. The hope of the book is found in Jeremiah 30 - 31 that despite their rebellion God will still save, bless and use them. Which is such a beautiful illustration of the gospel hope we have.

 In the midst of the rebellion Israel is displaying God sends Jeremiah to go to a particular house. Jeremiah 35:2 "Go to the house of the Rechabites and speak with them and bring them to the house of the Lord." Now as you read the chapter there are several interesting things that happen. First when Jeremiah comes to their house God tells Jeremiah to offer those in the house wine to drink. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal right? A wine tasting gig put on by God? Who wouldn't go that? And as the chapter goes on Jeremiah being the faithful prophet he is does exactly what God had commanded him to do. He gathers them all together and puts wine before them. What happen next is truly beautiful to me. Because what happens next is how I believe God provided the answer I have been searching for and wrestling to find for a really long time....(God why don't I have the freedom to drink like others I know do?)

Jeremiah 35:6 "But they answered, "We will drink no wine, for Jonadab the son of Rechab, our Father commanded us, 'You shall not drink wine, neither you nor your son's forever." The passage goes on to tell further instructions the Rechabites were to follow as well. And then in verse 8 it says they obeyed the voice of their father to drink no wine all of their days. Now let me stop right here and interject that this passage here in Jeremiah 35 is really most all we know about this nomadic tribe the Rechabites from what scholars tell us. I think this is fairly significant observation that all we know about them is how they are obeying the instruction their Dad gave to them.  The passage goes on in Jeremiah 35:12-17 to say .."Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah: 13 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Go and say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Will you not receive instruction and listen to my words? declares the LORD. 14 The command that Jonadab the son of Rechab gave to his sons, to drink no wine, has been kept, and they drink none to this day, for they have obeyed their father's command. I have spoken to you persistently, but you have not listened to me. 15 I have sent to you all my servants the prophets, sending them persistently, saying, 'Turn now every one of you from his evil way, and amend your deeds, and do not go after other gods to serve them, and then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to you and your fathers.' But you did not incline your ear or listen to me. 16 The sons of Jonadab the son of Rechab have kept the command that their father gave them, but this people has not obeyed me. 17 Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I am bringing upon Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the disaster that I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them and they have not listened, I have called to them and they have not answered." Now from just a causal reading of these verses its apparent that God is speaking through Jeremiah and telling the nation of Israel that the Rechabites are an example of what Godly obedience is. The Rechabites were an example of obedience in the midst of a people who were not following God.

Now a couple of parallels that I want to point out right of the gate that I am not making. I am not using this passage to say that every Christian who finds the liberty and freedom to consume alcohol is like Israel and is being wayward in their obedience. But what I do believe this passage can be used to say is that there are certain people/families that are set apart to be salt and light to the world around them in their unique obedience to stay absent from alcohol. And those who are set apart in this way should not be labeled as "weaker" brothers because they don't drink. 

A few final thoughts I want to leave everyone reading this with.  I believe God has set me and my family apart as Modern day Rechabites. Within the bible there is one concept and one command that I think are critical and play into Jeremiah 35 in a profound way for my own life personally and for my beautiful bride Cassie. The command is one most know well its the fifth command "Honor your father and mother". The important concept playing into this passage is one we know less about and its headship. The role that God has given to men, and fathers. Headship implies more than just being an example to those God places in our care. It's living as God has designed a man to live and to be all God has called a man to be. My purpose in bringing those two items up is because while Cassie's Dad and my Dad are different. And I am talking night and day different..... They both raised us before we even knew God would bring us together to be married with the conviction that alcohol was not a substance that would be consumed under their household. And so we both grew up as Modern day Rechabites. Why? Because we honored the headship of our dad's and listened to what they commanded us. Now that I am married and we have our own house and family how does this reality still affect us? Well I don't believe that my dad's headship over me has ended. That's a lifelong role he plays in my life. He will always be my dad. And I am still called to honor him. So as with Cassie to her dad. Just because we are married doesn't mean we get to throw out the convictions our dad's raised us with. I wonder if there are not a lot younger 20 something Christians who think that because they are married with their own family that they get to just make their own rules? I don't think the bible teaches that. To sum it all up let me say this. I am a modern day Rechabite as odd as that may be because I still want to honor my dad's headship over me and in doing so hopefully I am also honoring God. Not everyone has the same story Cassie and I do and that's why we are a "rare" breed. But through this passage God has given me the resolve that the path of abstinence to alcohol is what He has called our family too.

I hope this encourages others whose path is similar to Cassie and I's. Maybe this is the biblical text that God wanted to bring to your mind to keep fighting the fight and sticking with an "unpopular" conviction.

Be blessed.


15 comments:

  1. Rechabites were not Israelites and had nothing to do with God's covenant with the Israelites. He used them as a example of obeying a fathers command. The Rechabites were descended from the Kenites and hence were related to Jethro, Moses' father-in-law (see Judges 1:16; 1 Chronicles 2:55). Rechab was the father of Jehonadab (here called Jonadab), who supported Jehu in his purge of the Baal prophets from Israel (2 Kings 10:15-28).

    Jonadab had apparently given strict commands to his descendants regarding the lifestyle they were to live (verses 6-10). Instead of settling down in houses or cultivating fields, they were to dwell in tents as nomads. Perhaps he was concerned over the fact that God had prophesied that once the people of Israel settled into private homes and lands that they would become forgetful of God because of their abundance (compare Deuteronomy 8). Maybe he had even seen the truth of this in the society of his day. Jonadab also commanded his descendants to avoid wine. Perhaps this was motivated by the restriction against alcohol in the Nazirite vow or dangers of abuse he may have witnessed. Interestingly, the Rechabites saw that obedience to these commands from their forefather would allow them to "live many days in the land"—which was the blessing God promised for following the Fifth Commandment in obeying one's parents (see Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16).

    In any case, Jeremiah 35 doesn't say that God approved of the restrictions Jonadab placed on his descendants. Indeed, the Bible nowhere condemns the use of alcohol—only its abuse and drunkenness. And housing and agriculture are certainly not forbidden. The lesson here is not one of refraining from settling down or abstinence from alcohol, but a lesson in obedience for Judah. The Rechabites were prepared to obey a human progenitor who had died many generations before. How much more should Judah have been willing to obey God Himself—their divine parent—who was still alive and still instructing them?


    To claim that you are a "Modern Day Rechabite" is just ridiculous. You may feel good about not drinking wine, but to take on a mantle that is not yours makes no sense, nor does it honor God or cause you growth of righteous character.

    Your fear of being a "legalist" completely goes against the entire point of the passage. As that is exactly God's point. OBEY MY COMMANDS. How much clearer can He get? Or even Christ in the NT, obey the Law and the Prophets? Fear the Lord, don't fear being perceived as a supposed legalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your erudite discussion of the Recabites. According to all the Jewish literature I could find available to study,your history and description of these people is accurate. I also find no contradiction in your relating the comparison of the Recabites to modern-day Christianity.
      However, i do take mild issue with your description of our brother's convictions regarding this Scripture and claiming he "is a modern-day Recabite" as "simply ridiculous". The Scripture also states "let no man(or woman) judge you according to what you eat or drink or in celebration of New Moons". I seem to remember there were also more things that we as Christians were not to judge others about. " Let each man be convinced in his own heart regarding..."then including the aforementioned Scripture.
      This doesnt mean we wink our eye at outright serious error or sin, but to judge a brother on his conviction regarding a Scripture that does NOT lead to grievious error or sin borders on the edge of judging him."Simply ridiculous" is not an appropriate response to his convictions. He is neither trying to foist his beliefs on others nor attempting to re-write the Scriptures. Your answers to him seemed to be pompous and condescending, in my opinion,certainly not mildly reproving. He wasnot in danger of sin or grievious error, in any case.
      As your sister in Christ,I must admonish you to be more studious in your criticisms of your brethren. You obviously are very well-versed in your studies of the Scriptures and biblical history,but you must be more circumspect on criticism of your brethren and not let your most excellent knowledge cause you to develop an arrogant attitude. God loves a humble spirit, and wisdom is always much better than mere knowledge.
      Yours very respectfully,your sister in Christ

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. wow. thank you for this personal testamony of how God spoke to you thru his word. i too have been led not to drink. thank you also for stepping out and sharing your testimony in spite of all the ugliness that goes on and responses it just shows that not all Christians are safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I hope the Good Lord helped me with kimberly's rather disrespectful letter criticising our brother Brock Benson on his convictions regarding the Recabites
    Yes,unfortunately Christians can be unsafe people too, but if they are fellowshipping in a good place of worship and let the Bible "read" them(apply it to every aspect of their lives)they are in the best place possible fo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also,when we point our finger at another person's supposed faults there are four more pointing back at us.. The sin we think we hate in others is often our own besetting sin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well as a young man God spoke to me saying do not allow anymore alcohol to enter your body. At the time I didn't see it as a spiritual thing as much as a precaution for health reasons. Oddly enough I was reading Jeremiah 35 this morning and was quite amused, because my whole life I've lived somewhat of a nomadic type of life anyway. I have not longed for ownership of the things of this life as many do. Nor do I have a problem with people who do long for them.
    I was web searching about Rechabites and came across this blog. Now at 57 years old I can say I never imposed on others to abstain from alcohol knowing it was something for me personally. I have enjoyed the comments, and enjoyed Brock's post. But over all, I see in Jeremiah 35 that the Rechabites were a fulfillment of God's covenant with David that there will be no lack of a man to stand before Him. Jeremiah 33:17 “For thus says the Lord: ‘David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel; 18 nor shall the priests, the Levites, lack a man to offer burnt offerings before Me, to kindle grain offerings, and to sacrifice continually.’” I am convinced that even today in a NT covenant, that God seeks a freewill offering to stand before Him. The less entangled we are in this world the more we are unattached and more available to God. It's not about what we own or what we drink. It's about availability to God and what is of value to his heart. The man or woman who spend more time with the heart of the Father is the man or woman that will be available.
    Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:

    “Whom shall I send,
    And who will go for Us?”

    Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”
    Brock Benson every man has to have his own revelation of God. Some will never experience no more than their willingness will allow.
    As Paul had said all things are permissible but all things are not profitable. While others seek the permissible others seek the profitable. The profitable is what bears the fruit of the Spirit here and now. This is the heart of the Father. If someone was to write a book about your life and you gave it to Bob to read, and you took me with you everywhere you went for the next six months. Who would know you better, Bob? The one who read the book about you? or me the one who spent the time with you? Some people know God the book but rarely ventured into knowing God the Father.
    I think we as Christians make the mistake of believing the personal relationship with God is generic. When in fact we all have a designer God relating to him according to our needs to a certain point. Rather than relating to Him according to His ways. The US military is a volunteer military and not all citizens are in the military yet all military members are citizens. It's the same with Christianity. Not all Christians are in God's army but all of God's army are Christians. God's army is that of the willing seeking to please the heart of the father. who enlisted into His army of their own free will laying their life aside, to voluntarily serve. For some that concept is "Simply ridiculous" making sure to uphold the permissible things of this life. Just saying, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rechabites were asked not to drink wine, not to build houses and not to plant seeds. I don't judge or condemn any one. If anyone wants to be a present day Rechabites, he should not only abstain from wine, but he should also not build a house or plant seeds. Though I don't drink wine, it's not because I am under any law, and it will not be a sin to me if I decide to drink tomorrow. God commanded the Isrealites not to serve other gods and they refused, and that was the bone of contention, and not wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been impressed with this passage and have a Bible
      Dictionary published in 1967 that claims there are modern day
      Rechabites who currently live in Israel as nomadic tribes in
      The desert. Having also family members who are very sensative
      To alcohol and can easily abuse it, have come to prefer this
      Narrow path of living. While visiting Jerusalem in 2016
      A stranger came to me and said that in Israel they do not have
      A drug and alcohol problem with their young people as we do in
      The USA. That is very encouraging and if it results in living
      Longer in the land Praise the Lord !

      Delete
  7. The modern day Rechabites are now in Kurdistan and Ophir (Modern Philippines) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOMUJX0xH0

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate this very profound and gutsy blog post. My husband I were-1/2-a-glass- to-1-glass-of wine-after-dinner-drinkers for a most of our adult lives. I grew up in a "dry" home and felt very guilty when I started drinking wine AS AN ADULT. My parents (mom and step dad) were not motivated by their faith, at whatever level that was, but they did not drink--AT ALL-EVER. My biological father and both sets of grandparents did not drink either. In fact, I do not recall ever seeing anyone in my extended family drink alcohol.

    It became more and more comfortable to have a glass of wine over the years. I did, however, have "rules" for myself regarding alcohol. I would only allow myself half a glass UNLESS I was in a social setting where I relaxed my standards little by little.

    ENTER-- a "trial" run of WHOLE30 eating plan which included NO alcohol. During the evenings, when we normally would have a little wine (my husband's consumption grew over time) we would drink tea. Initially, it was very difficult. And then we had a family (immediate) family dinner together where the wine always flowed. It felt weird and awkward and our grown kids were puzzled. We explained our new TEMPORARY eating plan and they merely raised an eyebrow. My husband Rick and I felt very much on the "outside" on the mainstream family connection--which--for a mom--was very unsettling.

    What we did notice was our grandchildren's response--engaging with us--even the "littles" as we sat on the couch. At the end of the evening, when we debriefed, we were stunned by the level of engagement we had with our grandchildren. This cause us GREAT PAUSE in realizing that our 8 grandchildren do not have any adults in their lives who do not drink. It is quite a rarity to bump into others who do not drink. Was this what God was asking of us?

    What started as a 30-day eating plan morphed into 3 years of alcohol abstinence, and honestly, it has not been easy. We have become so aware of the saturation of drinking in EVERY GATHERING, inside and outside the body of Christ--no differences noted. And, it continues to be a little awkward as our sobriety makes others feel uncomfortable. I think if our reasons for not engaging in drink were different, i.e., we were alcoholics, etc., it would be more palatable for others.

    What started to be a short term experiment, if you will, became something quite different. In the beginning, my husband stated, "I am not ready to say that I will never drink wine again." He is not saying that anymore, and honestly, I am a bit relieved as I would have fleeting moments of concern while I watched his wine consumption grow. Contrary to my upbringing, Rick's entire family were huge consumers of alcohol.

    Fast forward--our decisions around social drinking are not founded in the Word. I do not think having a glass of wine is morally wrong, nor would I ever suggest that our choices are in ANY WAY "more spiritual" on any level. Having said this I would now say however, that our lifestyle choices are not solely for health (though maybe beneficial as a runner). It is more than that at this point in our lives.

    Though I do not normally read (too overwhelming) blogs, and RARELY respond to one, I was struck by the whole suggestion of our "roles" in our relationship with God in this entry. He has been teaching me about the body of Christ and how we all have different and unique roles that we have been prepared for during our life. This concept of different roles has shed light on why it is that we were called overseas for relief work--but that is an entirely different yet similar story.

    Maybe our journey from WHOLE30 and abstinence to alcohol is another one a the roles that we have been uniquely called to? We will sit in this place until God leads otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just today I see your blog!
    After reading your last entry I wonder where you went?
    It was 2016 and man it's been some 4 years, but I hope your faith has become even stronger.
    I was studying on the Rechabites when I stumbled onto your blog.
    Hope you and yours are safe and well and I wait for the day when we will all be believers in Spirit and Truth.
    Den Drouillard

    ReplyDelete